Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Day 9 - white villages and Ronda

7:15pm - sitting on a lovely square in Ronda for a pre-dinner sangria after a lovely day seeing a few of the white villages and ending in Ronda, where I'll spend two nights.




Guide Paul picked me up from my pension in Seville shortly after 9am and then we picked up another couple, which I was fine with as it made my trip over 100€ cheaper for them to come along!!  

After about two hours through gorgeous scenery, we stopped in Olvera for a bit. Then on to sentinil for another look around and coffee break. Buildings in the center of town are literally (said in a Chris Traeger voice) built under massive rocks. What a sight!!! Then 45 more min through winding rocky gorgeous mountains to Grazalema where we had lunch at a local place. I had a tomato "salad," which as I learned in Portugal is just a plate of sliced tomatoes. These were covered in about a half a head of raw garlic slices that I elected not to eat. I also got the local fried peppers and a plate of fried chicken pieces. 

Then we took another treacherous but gorgeous drive to zahara, where we had a short wander. It was hot in these mountainous villages, I can't imagine what sevilla was like today quite frankly. 

Then a final pretty drive to ronda, another one of these white villages, but its much larger, and it has a train station. I plan to mostly relax here before a grueling final couple stops in Granada and Madrid. 

10:15pm - back in the b&b after a light tapas dinner at Faustino. Here in ronda a lot of places do real small tapas of about 1€ which is cool so you can try a lot of things. Wandered a bit after eating and caught the sun disappearing behind the mountains. Will have to get to the bridge a little earlier tomorrow!!

Pictures tomorrow AM

No comments: