Saturday, May 4, 2013

Day 6 - Sevilla and pictures

Pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/debstah1/sets/72157633417561500/

5:45pm - back at the pension for a rest. Took the morning slow as I nada walking tour reserved at 10:30. Found breakfast in an old cafe and went on the tour, which covered a lot of the places I saw yesterday but gave more life to them. For example, all the pretty little plazas didn't used to be in the Santa Cruz area, the French made those in the 1800s when they conquered spain. Also of note, the city center has a "trash subway" - instead of dumpsters they have these almost mailbox-looking things: people out their trash in it and it gets taken away lord knows how and lord knows where, but that's pretty cool!!


After the tour I ran back to the pension and met the guide again for a 1pm tour of one of the main sights, the alcazar, which contains three palaces and gardens. One of the palaces is especially famous because it is decorated in Arab style but was built for a Christian king. He just liked the style. It's very well preserved and even still has some of the original colors. Got a sandwich in the museum's cafe and saw the gardens.

Went to the bus station and got my tickets for tomorrow to Cadiz. I realized I'll be on the bus about as much time as I'll be in Cadiz but that's ok. Went across to plaza de espana, built I'm 1929 for the worlds fair or something. It's got little tile exhibits from each area of Spain and is quite cool. Then across to the big park for a refreshing lemon slush and people-watching. Made my way back to the Jewish quarter and stopped in a new little exposition about the history of Jews in Seville. It was expensive at 6.50 for one room but it was interesting nonetheless. The same cultural center runs flamenco shows so I bought a ticket for Monday night because why not! Also the shows are put on a few mins away in the shopping area where I was planning to go Monday afternoon anyway.

10pm - back in pension "early" tonight because I'm tired. I think this was my first day without a nap at some point!? I ate (too much) at vineria San telmo, which I'd read about on a Seville tapas blog and felt I couldn't miss. Tried a bunch of things, including melted cheese with toast, sautéed mushrooms, and fried chicken breast pieces with potatoes. All were delicious. I was stuffed but not too stuffed for a dark chocolate/salted caramel gelato :)

Cadiz tomorrow!

No comments: