Monday, May 6, 2013

Day 8 - Sevilla

3:00pm - back at the pension for a little siesta. Set out around 9, got breakfast and crossed the river into the Triana neighborhood. What is it about the other side of the river always being where the interesting artisans are? Rome and Florence are the same. Anyway, wandered along the river to the market and picked up a late morning strawberry snack. Went to find a recommended ceramics shop and instead found men demolishing the inside :/ found another shop and bought a nice tile to hang up.

 
Walked across the river on the next bridge and went to the arenal market. Unfortunately the stalls were mostly closed since it's Monday.

Had some time to kill before lunch and I was only a couple blocks away so I went to the bullring, which offers a guided tour. Actually hard to believe this thing is still so popular, but it seems to be.

Went to plaza nueva, where there's a free wifi kiosk, and researched lunch options. Decided on Enrique becerra just down the street. Had a delicious artichoke, bacon and cheese "pie" and sided beef with fried garlic slices over fries. I have learned that fried potato products basically come with everything here. Not that I'm complaining!

9:00pm - waiting for my food in, gasp, an Italian restaurant. Need a mini break from all the meat and fried potatoes and this place got some good mentions. Just saw another flamenco show, at casa de la memoria. It was more polished than the first one i saw, and had more performers, which was cool, but less fun. And they only allow pictures in the last few minutes.

After my little siesta, I started at San Salvador church, which as you'll see is a golden baroque explosion. Then went to the palacio lebrija, a privately owned palace that was purchased by a countess in the early 1900s and decorated with old stuff from all over the world. For example, a few of the ceilings were wood from the 1500s and 1600s that she bought from ruined palaces and had installed. Completely wild place as you'll see!

Then for the total opposite, checked out the new parasol modern architecture thing that I can't even explain you'll just have to see it. Sadly I missed the food market that closed at 3pm but it's still a wild sight.

10pm - and back at the pension after a last gelato and packing stuff up. A lady was there in the gelato shop tonight. The guy before me called her the devil because the gelato is so good. I told her the "villar" flavor (that's the name of the store, it's a super dark chocolate, their signature I guess) was really good and in a very funny way she basically said "yeah, I know." Love it.

You'll see in this batch of pics that I'll get done tomorrow that not seeing 2/3 of my camera screen is causing some problems, namely with the flamenco and people's heads being cut off. I actually left a few out of focus ones in because in a way they show how freaking fast the dancers move and actually look kind of neat.

Tomorrow a quick tour through Andalusia's white villages then a couple nights in ronda. And just like that my vacation is half over :(

1 comment:

foodie1 said...

Hope camera is working! Can't wait to see pictures. I vaguely remember the white hillsides.