Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 10 - Ronda

Pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/debstah1/sets/72157633451035026/with/8721722482/

10:20pm - I started this entry earlier today and the draft disappeared :/ anyway, in the b&b for the night as I have an early train to Granada tomorrow.

Had a lazy morning, sleeping until after 8 then moseying on to a churro shop I had walked by yesterday. It was just off the main drag, which means there wasn't a tourist in sight. Two fresh churros and coffee = 2€. 


Then wandered a bit in a couple parks for some more views and went to the bullring, the oldest in Spain. Unlike seville's, which is guided only, you can walk through the one in ronda on your own, so that was cool. Still don't get the popularity of this here, but anyway.  

Then went to the Santa Maria church, I guess the cathedral of the city? But it's not that central and the square it's on isn't important, so that's odd. Maybe in this town the bullring is the real cathedral :) next went to the mondragon palace, which is an old palace that houses the unimpressive city museum.  Luckily today it was free. 

Since I was down near the far end of the old part of town, I went further to outside the old city wall/gate for lunch, hitting the church of the Holy Ghost on the way. People watched in the square, then had lunch at highly recommended Almocabar.  I will say the sangria was the bet I've had, they painstakingly made it by hand and even put in a variety of frozen fruit. I had a tapa and plate of grilled chicken with veggies. Yay healthy food!

Came back to the b&b for a siesta then took a late afternoon walk on which I found a great gelateria and got a strawberry sorbet. Also stopped by Daver bakery for something for dessert tonight and breakfast tomorrow since it'll be an early start. 

Cane back for another rest then went out and people watched before a tapas crawl dinner. Started at lecheguita (or something) where I tried about 5 things that were all .80€ each! Some were good, some I have no idea what it actually was so I took a bite and left it. Then went to maestro, and had a plate of ham. It was not the best ham I've had so far unfortunately.

One thing I realized today is that salt is used strangely here. Some things are salty and some things like veggies and potatoes have no salt and need it. Today, on top of that, both the places I ate lunch and dinner, they sprinkled salt on the OLIVES. I mean if there's one food that never ever needs EXTRA salt, I'd say it's olives!!! 

Tomorrow it's off to Granada!

No comments: