Sunday, May 5, 2013

Day 7 - Cadiz and Sevilla

3:15pm - sitting on the bus back to Sevilla after a few hours in the historic beach town cadiz. And theres wifi on the bus.

Got the 9am bus down from Sevilla. Took bus rather than train for 2 reasons: cheaper and bus station walkable from my pension. And they take the same time. Got to Cadiz around 10:30 and got off where everyone else was getting off. But that was not the right place. It was a nice 30 min stroll along the water but I wouldn't know where to get the bus back.

Unfortunately since its Sunday, the big central market was closed but today was really the only day I could come to cadiz that made good sense.

Found the Cadiz cathedral, which rules the skyline, and it's lovely. The whole ceiling was covered in netting, I wonder if its because stuff is falling off :/

Anyway. Kept walking along water and really had to use bathroom. Came upon castle and found one. Fine til I picked up my camera and i guess somehow tapped it on the ground just in the right place to ruin 2/3 of the screen. Its not like i even dropped it! Everything else works fine but fucking fuck! Luckily I can still see the menu side but not the shutter speed so indoor pictures will be a nightmare. Just great. May be taking a lot of iPad pics I guess :( the screen itself isn't even broken, it's something underneath it that makes it work. Sigh.

Wandered a bit more, found a lovely little park, wandered some more, and had lunch on plaza San Francisco. A few more tapas down.

Set off to find "Comes" bus station as I bought Comes bus tickets. Couldn't find it so started asking people, including a cop, cabbie, and tour bus driver, aka three people who should know. They kept directing me to the same place, which was opposite from where it was on my map. So I end up at the train station and so convinced I'm in the wrong place that I almost bought a train ticket. Went out to the bus area behind the train station just in case and people said the 3pm to Sevilla did leave from there. So hooray! But I almost missed the fucking bus because it was an ALSA bus, not Comes, and the sign on the front didn't say sevilla. So at 3pm I ask the ticket guy and he's all HURRY HURRY. Luckily the line to check tickets was long and the bus left 5 min late or I would literally have been standing there watching my bus go. I swear, more than half the time I take day trips, something frustrating happens. But at least I made the bus. Camera screen, not so lucky.

Lots of people say cadiz is the most beautiful city in Spain. It's nice and all with the beaches and amazing cathedral right on the water and all, but I found the streets uninspiring and poor, with lots of Africans selling fake shit on the streets. I was underwhelmed. Maybe I wasn't there long enough maybe because it was Sunday and things were closed, or maybe it was just the comedy of errors starting with getting off at the wrong place, I'll never know.

11:15pm - back at the pension later than anticipated because as i was finishing another tapas meal, at cerveceria giralda, a lovely British couple from Yorkshire who'd ridden their motorcycles from England for an event in Jerez wanted my table then invited me to sit with them while they ate. Michelle and Steve, wherever you are, thanks for the lovely conversation!

Anyway, got back to Sevilla from Cadiz around 5, a little late from traffic at a toll booth due to the bike thing in Jerez. Walked straight to Casa Pilatos, an old palace that's still privately owned and partially lived in. The entire thing is tiled and gorgeous. They also give you a private tour of upstairs, where there's art and furniture. Really cool.

Came back to the pension for a much-needed break and did a bit of laundry. Changed and set out for dinner. Honestly most of the menus look the same so i picked the one I did because a few people wrote about it and it sounded good and I like that they had tapas sized portions of everything, some places only have larger sizes of some things. Then chatted with Michelle and Steve for quite a while before skipping gelato (already 11pm!) and coming back here.

Pics tomorrow morning hopefully. Will be taking it easy as I'm just wandering more of Seville all day.

No comments: