Friday, May 10, 2013

Day 12 - Granada

1:15pm - waiting for salad in my meal of the day in the albaicin quarter at aurora de la rincon. It was recommended several places and apparently Mario batali filmed here for the Spain PBS show. 10€ menu of the day and a lovely peaceful square setting is good enough for me!

Woke up early thus morning to try to get to the Alhambra as early as possible. Went to the recommended-by-everyone Alhambra Cafeteria for churros and chocolate, luckily they were open, kinda. But they were hot, fresh, delicious, and cheap. 

Made it to the cathedral where a minibus was waiting to go to Alhambra. Perfect. Unfortunately I missed the lower entrance and ended up at the main entrance. Walked down to the main sights and saw the Charles V palace and ruined fort, before my 10:00 entry ticket to the main palaces. Wow, what a sight. Can't help but wonder what it looked like 600-700 years ago even more ornate and full of 2000 people. Wandered through to see the palace and then went back out and bought a wood inlaid plate to hang up from a workshop where they're making it all on the grounds of the Alhambra.  Went back and finished the tour in the generalife gardens, which are lovely. 

Caught the 30 bus back down and immediately hopped on a 31 up to albaicin. The Alhambra looks different midday than at sunset. Wandered down a few minutes to this square for lunch. Btw discovered my new fave drink, tinto de verano, which is half red wine half carbonated lemonade. Lunch was pretty good but not mind-blowing. 

11pm - in for the night getting ready to move to my last (:() destination Madrid. After lunch I wandered down through the albaicin which reminded me of the alfama district in Lisbon but less pretty. Everyone says the albaicin is the most important and interesting part of Granada and maybe I was there at the wrong time of day (2:30pm or so) but I just found it boring. Anyway, made it back to town and bought my obligatory magnet and a little bowl in the traditional blue/white style with a pomegranate, the symbol of Granada (the word for pomegranate in Spanish).

Took a short siesta and wandered around for a couple hours. Around 7 I went to bodegas Castaneda, a tapas bar recommended by basically everyone, which had been too busy last night. Had a couple drinks (which come with free tapas in Granada, one of which was in recognizable so I did not eat it) and a couple tapas. Stood at the bar for over an hour as it was fun to watch the scene get busier and busier.  Got a gelato at the best place in town right down the street and took bus 31 back up to the San Nicolas viewpoint to see the Alhambra all lit up.  Gorgeous. 

Tomorrow a long train to Madrid for my last few days :( will try to catch up on pictures tomorrow!

No comments: