Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 16 - Madrid & pictures - last day :(

Last pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/debstah1/sets/72157633479633081/

2:00pm - sitting in casa Lucas in the Latina district for a peaceful and delicious "gourmet" lunch.  But no one else is here. I had read about this place basically everywhere but it's dead. Maybe it's a dinner place.

Anyway, started the day with another lovely group breakfast at the b&b. took the metro to the Salamanca district, checked out the very cool La Paz market and wandered around for a bit in this trendy (I guess) shopping area. Didn't seem that special to me.


Hopped on the metro to a random square where as part of the festival of San isidro this week there was a pottery festival. Some really beautiful things there; I picked up an olive jug. 

Took metro back to trusty Sol and wandered a bit. Bought some almond cookies at a convent, which is a strange and interesting experience because they're hidden and the transaction occurs via a lazy Susan.  The picture I took didn't come out well but you get the idea.

10:00pm - was interrupted by food before so I shall finish the blog now. After buying almond cookies from the nuns, I went back to my dear mercado san Miguel down the street one last time. Picked up a little thing of baby salamis for the plane tomorrow and looked around one last time. When I went outside it was raining so I looked around one more time ;)

Then it had stopped more or less, so I wandered down to the la Latina area nearby and cava Baja, which is lined with tapas bars. I also read about a ham store on that street.  Eh had a circle in the frog of all the different levels of quality. I asked for 59 grams and said I wanted the best. He let me taste a slice, heavenly! He then proceeded to hand-cut fifty exactly freaking grams. Even he seemed rather surprised and quite pleased with his perfection. Bought that for the plane tomorrow too. Just gotta make sure I eat it before the plane lands in the US and I have to throw it away!! Anyway, then had to wander and wait a bit u til casa Lucas opened, but I had read about it so many places I had to try it. Glad I did!

Walked the ten mins back to the b&b for a quick rest then went to the botanical gardens nearby, which were lovely. Spent close to an hour there and saw a storm cloud coming in (Spain is sad I'm leaving tomorrow, clearly) so I decided to do the bus 27 tour Rick Steves suggests through the modern part of town. Not more than a couple minutes after I got on the bus did the storm start. And I mean storm - rain, hail, lightning, etc. luckily that bus line ends at a big square that's covered so I could hop right on the metro back to Sol. By the time I emerged from the station it had stopped. I wandered a bit in massive 8-floor El Corte Ingles (yes eight floors complete with a full supermarket in the basement) and took the metro back to the b&b.  first I stopped in the silk scarf shop I'd looked in the other day. I don't exactly wear scarves that often but the things in this shop were too pretty to pass up and it's all made right there and I just knew I'd kick myself when I got home if I didn't buy something. The guy even drew in gold and signed the gift bag! Check them out: http://www.lolafonseca.com/

I rested for a while and packed then set out for dinner. I took my "emergency poncho" since the clouds had returned and of course I packed my umbrella and rain jacket at the bottom of everything. It started raining a few mins after I set out. I decided on la Puebla which sounded like good traditional food. Because it was raining all the tapas bars were already packed anyway. I got the last of only two tables because all the others were set for a huge party. This place had two great set menus including two courses, dessert, bread, and drink. I had mushrooms on the plancha grill, chicken with garlic, which was amazing, and homemade flan. Great and very traditional last meal. To say ill be on a vegetable diet for weeks after I get back to LA is a massive understatement.

Was going to wander the city a little a final time but it was still raining pretty hard so I figured the smarter thing to do was call it an early night. Can't believe the vacation is already over :( I'll write up my final thoughts and observations on the plane ride back and per tradition, take a picture of all my purchases. I think I got some really great handmade stuff this time!

No comments: