Saturday, May 13, 2017

Sicily Day 2 - Siracusa and Noto 5/13/17

All pictures from today HERE

2:15pm: sitting in famous caffe Sicilia in Noto enjoying a delicious and refreshing almond granita after a full morning. After a pretty decent night's sleep, I wandered a bit before breakfast at 8, which is served on the hotel's adorable rooftop terrace. It was a buffet of fresh juice and baked goods, and even bacon and eggs.



Then I set out to the castle at the end of the island, which was big and empty. Made my way to the Jewish quarter, which is always identifiable in Italy because the buildings are taller and the streets narrower. In a hotel, you can visit an ancient mikvah. After that, I found the market, which is a veritable theatre of produce, fish, and personalities! I picked up some olives, baby wild strawberries, and a sandwich with local cheese and salami to eat later. Wandered across the bridge to the main part of town and found the little station, where I caught the half hour train to Noto. It was only two cars! And now naturally because it's mid-afternoon in southern Europe, all the sights I might want to see here in Noto are closed.

4:45pm: sitting at the tiny sleepy train station in Noto to go back to Siracusa. After my granita I wandered the main drag for a bit. Some of the churches and sites started to open so I wanted in and out. By then, recommended cafe costanza has opened so I had another afternoon snack of a small gelato. Not sure it was as great as everyone said it was, but it was still delicious. 

10:00pm - back at the B&B at the end of the day watching Eurovision, because Eurovision!! The train back to Siracusa was slow for some reason and didn't arrive until about 6. I waited a while for the cheap minibus to get back to the B&B but it never seem to come so I gave up after a while and got a taxi. Came back and rested just for a couple minutes then went and bought a purse I definitely do not need at a handmade shop and set out for dinner at Scilia in Tavola. I sat right on the main drag so it was people-watching with dinner! The place was totally full by about 8, then they started turning people away. I went to the antipasto bar then had a homemade cheese ravioli with local tomatoes and pistachios. Amazing. Then went to a pastry shop and got a little almond nutella tartlet and then went to Gusto and had a dark chocolate/special hazelnut gelato. Yes that was five desserts today plus pasta for dinner plus bread at all three meals. Who cares, because I walked 34,269 steps and 13.63 miles! 

No comments: