Monday, May 22, 2017

Sicily Day 11 - Trapani, Egadi Islands, and Marsala 5/22/17

Tons of pics HERE.

2:30pm: sitting waiting for the 2:50 boat from Favignana to Marsala after a quick yet relaxing morning. Instead of rushing for the 8:20am boat from Trapani, I took it easier this morning. But when I went to have breakfast shortly after 8:30, the two tables were both occupied and the guy was like, wait a few minutes. Ok.... So I waited till almost 9 and then basically snuck out and got a coffee and croissant around the corner because I wasn't going to miss my 9:40 boat waiting for other people to finish their breakfast. And it's a good thing because they boarded the boat early. I planned out my day and got all the boat tickets at once, so that made it easy. All three together were about 24€.


I started in Levanzo, which is gorgeous but doesn't have much to do. There's one main drag with a few shops and cafes. There are ancient cave drawings you can go to but it requires advance booking and takes a few hours. I tried emailing a while back but got no response, oh well. So instead I got a coffee and then a yummy panino from the bread shop on a homemade roll with tomato and olive paste. A delicious way to spend 2.50€.

Caught the noon boat to the bigger island Favignana, which only takes ten minutes. These boats zip through the water, it feels more like you're on a bus than a boat. Shout out to Liberty lives, the company that runs the boats. This was the most efficient and on time transportation I've experienced I Sicily, pretty much! Also, I found all the people in Sicily- they're all going to and from these islands! I can't imagine what it's like in the summer, must be truly unbearable.

In Favignana, I started at the museum in an old huge tuna processing facility. They had old boats and other stuff, including some bronze pieces from around the 3rd century B.C. Crazy. Then I wandered back to the main drag. It was around 1pm so naturally almost everything was shutting for the afternoon. I got a gelato of coffee with chocolate fudge and pistachio-chocolate and it was creamy and delicious. Then I immediately saw a granita shop and promptly treated myself to a pomegranate-peach/orange combo that was equally refreshing and delicious. Whatever! Wandered around the little town a bit more and now it's time to head to the city Marsala and see that for a few hours before catching the train back to Trapani. It's an ambitious day but there's so much I want to see and I know I'm a quick traveller and so far it has worked out just right!

7:30pm: back at pizzeria Calvino giving it another shot on the early side and when it's less busy. Out just looks weird at the front I guess because you sheet and there's no main dining room so they take you back and there are all these tiny little areas with a few tables each and it keeps going and going. Completely wild! I also made a reservation for dinner at a nice place tomorrow.

Anyway, made it to Marsala around 3:30 and wandered around. Since it was before 4pm, naturally everything was closed. Actually the Duomo was open, surprisingly. The other main church complex there is closed on Mondays. Most of the places are for Marsala wine, as to be expected. The city center is mostly pedestrianized and pretty cute. I realized there was really not all that much to do there so I caught the 4:47 train back, which took less than a half hour. Went to the b&b quickly then set out to wander Trapani a little. There are a few pedestrian-only streets that make for a lively passeggiata, the traditional evening stroll. I bought a pair of handmade coral and lava stone earrings. 

I called the aforementioned restaurant but they only had availability for 10pm so that's why I booked for tomorrow and figured I'd try the pizza place. They cut the pizza into tiny squares and give you only a fork to eat it with. Again, wild! But delicious! Apparently it was good to get there early because it appeared pretty darn full by the time I left. Did I mention it's weird to be able to hear other diners but not see them because of the strange setup? Anyway, I'm glad I tried again because at 9.50, it was cheap and a fun authentic delicious experience. 

9:30pm: back at the b&b for an early night after a long day. After the pizza, I snapped some pictures of the sunset. There was a guy with all kinds of pro equipment including a drone! Then I found gelateria Gino, which is apparently award-winning. I had the good old setteveli, with "pistacchiosa" that I think was just amped up pistachio with bits of the nuts in it. Yum!

29,407 steps and 11.69 miles today. Tomorrow I'm still figuring out what to do, perhaps another ancient sight, then the city Erice, which is above Trapani by cable car...if I can figure out the timing! I also think breakfast may be awkward tomorrow since the guy told me to wait and then I just sort of got annoyed and disappeared...

No comments: