Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 6 - 5/13/11: Lovely Sorrento

I give up waiting for blogger to restore the post from May 12. Here is yesterday's:


9:30pm: Sitting in the B&B Sorrento after a long, but good, day. Woke up just before my alarm at 7:30, finished packing, had breakfast at Bar Valle, and walked to Largo Argentina to get a taxi. It was only 7 euros, I was expecting more. Hopped on the train and went to Naples. It arrived a bit late, but was otherwise fine. Had a bit of trouble finding the tourist office but foundi it and picked up my 2 Artecards for museum admission and transport while I am in Campania. Managed to catch the 11:11am Circumvesuviana train (think above ground subway) to Sorrento. The train was packed and I had to stand for half the trip until the train emptied out at Pompeii.



Arrived a little after noon and walked to the B&B, which is adorable with its painted purple walls and breakfast courtyard – and it's on the ground floor so no need to worry about stairs and steps and elevators for once!! Sorrento is very compact and has narrow alleys in the old center. Marianna was here and showed me around, and then I set out to get some lunch. Went to the B&B's restaurant around the corner, Da Gigino, and had a pizza. Yummmmm. Got a gelato combo of two sorbetti – wild strawberry and profumi di sorrento, which they make out of the various citrus that grows in the area. Amazing. Then I just wandered around. The old center, where I am staying, is comprised mostly of old Greek-gridded streets (alleys really) that are completely lined with stores, selling everything – leather, coral jewelry, ceramics, and LOTS OF LEMON STUFF. I mean lots. Even big “cedro” lemons that are the size of your head.

English is basically the first language here. Lots of Brits. Somehow this is not as annoying to me as Cinque Terre was. But I'm not sure why. Anyway, kept wandering. Found a little ceramics shop further out in the historical center called Terrerosse that appeared to be owned by a husband and wife with everything inside made by them (and their 10yo daughter!). Bought a little bowl for 8 euros and a really cool black and white mug set for 20. My first souvenir purchase!

Anyway kept on walking around. Crossed the main square Piazza Tasso and found the big lemon and orange grove maintained by a family or company that makes the fruits into various liquor products. Wandered back and took a breather at the B&B before having dinner at Ristorante San Antonino, which has a gorgeous upstairs patio setting. Most of their tables are outdoors so I'm not sure what they do if the weather is not good. I had this like, pizza “roll” stuffed with mozzarella and prosciutto. Looked like little pinwheel pizzas. Anyway, it was good but not mindblowing. Managed to catch the sun just as it was setting. I would say a Sorrentine sunset is better than a Roman moonlight ;)

Wandered back through the alleyways and stopped at Davide Gelato and had a delicious chocolate mousse/nutella combination and here I am.

Apparently Blogger had almost a full day downtime and got rid of some blog entries. Hopefully it will restore yesterday's post because I don't want to have to write it again or remember what I did. Tomorrow, I will take a quick boat ride over to Capri to meander with the rich and famous, or something like that :)

No comments: