Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 21 - 5/28/11: Conversano, Barletta, Gioia

A few final photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/debstah1/sets/72157626827038230/

7:15pm: Resting for a bit after my last day in Italy. Can't believe it's gone by so fast. Don't want to go home.

Woke up around 8 and met Angelo at 9. Drove to Conversano where we met up with Annalisa (I hope I'm spelling that right), another guide based there to show me around for the day because Angelo is busy with a new wine business he is setting up. Walked around the old center of Conversano a bit and saw the part of the Castle that's open to the public. Interestingly enough, most of the castle is privately owned. People actually live in parts of the castle and there is a pizzeria! But part of it is open and has a little art exhibition and it's pretty neat.





Drove to Barletta which took about an hour and a half. Barletta is much bigger and was quite important in Frederick II's time. There is a massive cathedral and an even more massive castle. Inside the castle is a nice exhibit of art from local artists as well as old things like clothes, games, and household items. Walked around the center a bit more and had lunch near the Duomo. Had a delicious fresh orrechiette, a very typical pasta of this region, with a fresh tomato sauce and grated aged ricotta (tastes like parmigiano), with some fruit for dessert. Then had some yummy gelato.

On the drive back to Gioia, the rain came. A massive thunderstorm with pelting rain like I've never seen before! But we made it back safely and I hope Annalisa made it back to Conversano safely. I loved hearing about the little piece of land her family maintains - they make their own olive oil, grapes (for eating, not wine), cherries, peaches, figs, and more. Just amazing, and she said that that's pretty common for families in this area.

Back at the B&B around 5pm, I rested for a while waiting out the rain. Then I wandered the town, including the little lanes of the historical center I realized I hadn't even seen yet. Took out a little money at the ATM so I can have some euros to bring home for next time :) and bought a couple of last-minute gifts as well as a little salami for the plane tomorrow.

Now I will pack a little before one last dinner in this beautiful town in this wonderful province with its incredible people and food and culture and history. In so many ways, I feel more at home here than in LA and I need to put off the thought of going home for at least a little bit longer.

9:15pm: Window open, concert going on in the main square for continued Patron Saint festivities, and I can't believe I have to go home tomorrow. Walked around a little bit and had dinner at Dai Bizantini, a little restaurant right off the main square. Had "capunti" a short cool-shaped pasta that was clearly homemade, with cherry tomatoes and mushrooms and grana cheese and lots of olive oil. Had fruit for dessert, which was pineapple. They serve a lot of pineapple here, but it's strange since I don't think it could possibly grow here, and otherwise this region is so in touch with the idea of eating seasonally and locally. Anyway, came back to the B&B for an early night since the ipod alarm is set for 4:15am tomorrow :/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I wanted to drop you a quick note to express my thanks. I¡¯ve been following your blog for a month or so and have picked up a ton of good information as well as enjoyed the way you¡¯ve structured your site.

Anonymous said...

Pleasant Post. This enter helped me in my school assignment. Thanks Alot