Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 1: The Plane

4:10 pm Pacific: Sitting on the plane, finally in flight after a short delay. The boarding process reminded me of that Italy vs the rest of Europe Youtube video - in other words, a total cluster. I would have thought most people on this flight were tourists, but there are a significant number of Italian-speakers on board. I'm sitting in front of a priest, so I feel safe.

I would have to say that this Alitalia plane is as nice or nicer than other planes I have taken to Europe. A personal in-seat entertainment system, relatively wide seats (emphasis on relatively) and perhaps the best feature for a short person like me, a kick stand foot rest that pops down. nice!


it's funny how the airline you take is so indicative of the nation it's from. Alitalia is so quintessentially italian. SwissAir, which I took on my last trip to Italy, was so stereotypically Swiss in all its civilized glory.

Here's to hoping I can snag at least a few hours of sleep on the plane and then when i wake up the magic of the priest sitting in such close proximity will completely heal my ankle :)

11:30am Italian time: Actually got a pretty decent night's sleep – maybe 4-5 hours, and woke up for good a little after 9am Italy time, which will hopefully get me on some kind of decent schedule to start with. I give some credit to the TravelRest pillow and some to being really tired to begin with. Landing time less than an hour now and pilot says it's 68 and sunny in Italy. Can't complain about that kind of Italian welcome.

No comments: