Tuesday, July 14, 2015

San Francisco day 4

Pictures here. Not as many.

4:30pm- back at the bnb for a break before dinner. At breakfast this morning, had conversations with a few people who apparently came to San Francisco with no idea what to do or see or how to do any of it. Why bother to take a vacation and do zero research???!!

Anyway after breakfast I meandered to the ferry building, which is historic and has been all redone up and is now a gourmet foodie paradise. Think hipster faneuil hall. I got a cappuccino at famed blue bottle coffee. It was tasty but nothing to go crazy out of the way for. Wandered around sampling chocolate and olive oil and cheese. Bought a couple amazing single varietal chocolate bars from Dandelion chocolate. Wandered around the farmers market that was going on. Not many vendors, which was a bit disappointing. Saturday is probably much bigger? But the exciting thing was that there was a stand with apples!! I haven't had fruit in days and apples are not fragile and don't need a fridge! Yessssss!! Also bought a couple rolls at acme bread. Not sure why and not sure when I'll eat them but it's supposed to be some of the best bread in the city so I felt I had to try it. Maybe I'll just take a few bites to say I did.




Wandered along the waterfront and out pier 5, where lots of guys were fishing. Nice views of the Oakland bay bridge. Had an early lunch reservation at Coqueta, a Spanish restaurant owned by celebrity chef Michael Chiarello. Awesome decor. I was seated at the chef's counter and could watch the many hardworking cooks making food, prepping churros, and many other things. I had a little tapas feast of bread with tomato and house cured jamon Serrano, the most amazing little fried potatoes/ patatas bravas, and a little "pintxo" of chorizo and artichoke. Even the house fruit lemonade was delicious. The service was fantastic too. Great food experience!!

Wandered back through the ferry building and had a scoop of Blue bottle Vietnamese coffee ice cream from Humphrey Slocombe. Delicious. Took the California cable car line back to the bnb. Dropped stuff off and rested for a minute. Then walked down to the SoMa district, which is supposed to be hip and trendy. I'd read about a cool shop where local designers sell unique clothes. Found it and the stuff was cool, but didn't see anything I wanted to spend ~$200 on. Didn't feel like trekking back uphill so I used some uber credit and got back to the bnb for free!

8pm - back at the bnb after a fantabulous meal at barbacco. The place was pretty busy when I arrived around 6 and totally full shortly thereafter. Good thing I made a reservation! 

In addition to their regular menu they had all kinds of specials from Lazio, the region where Rome is. Including one of my faves, carciofi alla giudea, or Jewish style fried artichokes. I finally eat a vegetable and it's deep fried! Anyway, in my humble opinion, this dish may be the Jews' greatest contribution to society. While I was tempted by another of my faves from rome, bucatini all'amatriciana, I decided to forego more carbs and had chicken breast cooked under a brick with salsa verde. I'm not sure what was in the salsa besides olives and parsley but it was awesome and delicious. I was intrigued by the coffee panna cotta with chocolate whipped cream and candied cacao nibs, so naturally I had to try it. Light, creamy, and delicious. In fact the restaurant and meal as a whole reminded me of many meals I've had in Italy. 

On the way back to the bnb on my street there were multiple street parties. Couldn't figure it out till I realized they were all French places and it is Bastille day. The other day I noticed I heard a lot of French around. It must be a little French neighborhood down the street, with hotels, restaurants, everything! 

Today's day of food lived up to the hype and more. In fact, except for the cable car ride, the only money I spent all day was on food. I consumed coffee in four different forms - regular, as espresso in a cappuccino, in ice cream, and in panna cotta. And I regret nothing! Luckily I walked 22,355 steps, the equivalent of 34 flights of stairs, and 8.89 miles! 

Tomorrow I meet up with Erica and it's off to Yosemite! Not sure how off the grid we'll be.... We shall see! 

No comments: