Sunday, July 12, 2015

San Francisco - day 2

Pictures here
=====

3:15pm - back at the bnb for a breather after another long day. Had lovely breakfast of muffin and croissants in the hotel then went to Mr. Holmes bakery for more unhealthy things. People were waiting for "cruffins" that make their place famous. I was too late and not patient enough to deal with that, so I went in and got a ferrero rocher choux bomb instead. It was a cream puff with some kind of delicious hazelnut cream inside. Survived a walk through the tenderloin district and picked up the 5 bus at city hall. Took that to Alamo Square to see the painted ladies houses. Meandered through the cool Victorian era houses and weird hippy vibes of haight Ashbury, which I think smelled stronger than most of Amsterdam. It seems fitting in a way that at that intersection there's now a Ben and Jerry's ice cream shop.




Keep walking til I reached golden gate park. I was going to go to some gardens but the park was filled with homeless people and the gardens were a mile further in the park and I just didn't care that much so I hopped on the 33 bus to the mission district aka the Latino and hipster neighborhood. It went through the Castro, which is every bit the explosion of rainbows you'd expect and hope it to be (including the crosswalks). Wandered around the mission area for a while and settled on lunch at a taco place I'd read about, La Taqueria. The line was long but moved in about ten minutes. It kept growing longer and was down the block by the time I was done. It's an insane crazy cool little place. I got a massive chicken taco that was delicious and bordered on the impossible to eat, and a delicious strawberry agua fresca. Wandered back to the main drag in the mission to another hipster place, Bi-rite, which serves organic I've cream. Line only took five minutes but I got there just in time because it was around the block when I got out of the shop. They're famous for salted caramel so I got that and a flavor made with local coffee, local chocolate chips, and almonds. Perfect. 

Grabbed the historic F trolley to union square, where there was some kind of circus thing going on, then back to the hotel to rest. 

8:50pm- back at the bnb after a mini fall of a dinner. Set out around 4 and hiked to the cable car museum, which is a museum in very loose terms. It's pretty cool tip see the inner workings of how the cars work though. I have to laugh at how crazy people her about the cars though... Yesterday people waited over an hour for one of the lines! 

Wandered down a few blocks to Grace cathedral, which is Episcopalian. Its European in style/architecture with loads of pretty stained glass windows. Very peaceful place complete with two meditation labyrinths. 

Walked back down to the street where my bnb is to a place that looked cuter called the lab. It was opened by an engineer and everything is science-y with scales for purse hooks, serving things out of beakers, etc. I had a glass of sangria, which was good, and prosciutto wrapped asparagus, which was also good. But there was no one there and it was kinda awkward. So I decided to go to another gastropub type place near union square. Except that was also empty and not til after I sat down did I find out they didn't serve food anymore? Ugh! So I got a drink and left most of it. Got a shaved ice since I was still kinda hungry and that was not great either. If well, will make sure to better research the rest of my meals! 

According to my fitbit, I walked a ridiculous 29,597 steps, 11.77 miles, and the equivalent of 88 flights of stairs. Tomorrow I take a day tour to the redwoods and wine country, so hopefully it's a bit of a lighter walking day!

No comments: