Friday, May 27, 2016

Portugal Day 16 - Evora 5/27/16 and Day 14 pictures!

Day 14 pictures mostly from Nazare HERE. Naturally the initially-fast internet here has slowed down, and therefore so have my efforts to catch up.

7:15pm - back at the hotel for a quick rest before dinner. Had a delicious pastry for breakfast at the Arcada Cafe and then went to the market, which was still mostly closed. Followed that with the cathedral, which also has a cloister (if I don't see a cloister for a while, I think I'll be ok with that), view terrace on the roof, and a museum. Then met up with the walking tour led by local guide Sophia. There were only six people on the tour so that was nice! She explained all of the important history of the city, from the 1st to 19th Centuries. She called the main square the Facebook for old people in town and I love it.



After the tour, I went back into the market which had more open but still not everything. A bit strange, but I do love that there are three, yes THREE, cheese stalls right next to each other. 

Then went to a little wine bar called Piperazo for lunch. Had a local rose and baked cheese, potato tart, and olives. Delicious! Then set out to see the sights I had not made it to yet. This included the library, which is from the 16th century or so, the town museum, with lots of archaeological stuff, and a special exhibit of some kind of modern art. I still hate modern art. One "piece" was chains with stuff like rakes and spoons attached? OK. Then went to the university, which is really cool. Each classroom has a theme and is decorated in old blue and white tiles. I feel like it would be hard to concentrate on classes with such cool classrooms! 

Then wandered around and came back for a rest and to start packing. Set out because I felt like I needed to buy something made of cork, since so much comes from this region and there are a million shops. None of the purses really stood out to me but I bought some cute sandals! 

10:15pm - back after dinner at Cafe Alentejo. I had their steak their style, which was with mushrooms and a cream sauce type of thing. Not as incredible as last night of course, but still good. And I tried the local side dish "migas" with asparagus. It's sort of like a savory bread pudding I guess? Not sure if it's my thing. Then I went back to Zoka and had chocolate and cinnamon ice cream and took a couple pictures at night of the Roman temple. 

Tomorrow it is back to Lisbon for my last day. Cannot even believe it. 

Today's totals: 25,776 steps, 10.25 miles, 81 floors. 

No comments: