Monday, May 23, 2016

Portugal Day 12 - Coimbra, Leiria, Batalha 5/23/16

5:15pm - sitting at the bus stop in Batalha waiting for the bus back to Leiria. Woke up and had breakfast at the guesthouse. The bread was indeed fresh! Had a nice conversation with Joao about how difficult it is to pronounce Portuguese. Then I set off to do a couple last things. There was still mass in the Santa Cruz church and I didn't feel like fighting with it just to see more cloisters. Walked around to the market, which was still actually mostly closed. I bet it's a really cool market when it's bustling! Every stall was manned by old ladies.

Went back and Joao called me a taxi, brought my suitcase up the street (aka stairs!), and gave me a hug goodbye. And that's why I like staying at tiny accommodations. Made it to the bus station early and got my ticket to Leiria with no problem. Bus was a few minutes late. Walked the short walk from the station to my hotel. The only person there was a maid and I had to communicate with her in French. Both surprised and impressed myself with how much I remembered!

Walked around town a little and got a ham and cheese croissant for lunch and a pastry to eat later. Figured out how to get the bus to Batalha, which has a huge important monastery and not a ton else. Arrived a little after 2pm and got return bus info from the info office. The monastery truly is incredible.  I made it in time for the 3pm changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier.

Wandered around the little town, which felt pretty sleepy, and got some snacks at a bakery with a nice shaded terrace and great views of the monastery. Relaxed there for a while and then wandered around the supermarket to check it out.

8:30 pm - waiting for my meal at A Toca, which does meat. I have no idea what I'm actually getting? But I don't think it's fish so I think I'm ok? They have a lot of beef items but I've eaten steak a few times so I figured I'd try something else? And it was on the list of plates of the day? Clearly I have a lot of questions. My phrasebook is coming in handy so far in this town!

But happily, I made it back from Batalha without much incident. The bus was late but I made it and that's all that matters.

10:30pm - dinner update - it was pork! And a ridiculous amount of food. Two pieces of grilled pork, rice, a whole plate of fries, naturally, plus some salad. And I got a quarter liter of wine, water, and ate bread, butter, and cheese put on the plate and the WHOLE THING was 11.80 euros. And that was a HALF order. Are you kidding?! Walked off the huge dinner for a bit. The town is very sleepy for sure. Took some pictures of the castle at night from various viewpoints, including up on the roof of my hotel.

Today's totals: 19,683 steps, 7.83 miles, and 35 floors. Not as bad! 

I had to start the upload of yesterday's many pictures all over again so hopefully I can catch up soon, the wifi here seems pretty good!

No comments: