Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Catalonia & Provence Day 7 - Girona & Besalu 5/16/18

Pictures are here!

6:00pm: Back at the hotel for a bit of a rest after a long morning. Set out a little before 9am after finally getting a solid 8 hours of sleep (despite the cathedral bells going off all night, particularly when I heard then at 4am), had breakfast at Artusia, one of the only places open in Girona before 9 (and as a result, a very busy place!), then walked over to the train/bus station and got our bus tickets for Besalu, a nearby medieval town. As anyone who has read this blog in the past may know, most of my travel mishaps have happened on day bus trips so I am extra cautious with them. Got an extra cup of coffee at the station and caught the 10:10 bus to Besalu, which got us there about 11. To say I made special note about where to get the return bus is an understatement.

We wandered around the little old town for a while, which was nice as it was about 100 times quieter than Girona. There is a famous bridge and even some old jewish stuff. Had lunch at a traditional place on one of the squares - I finally had my tapas of garlic mushrooms and inadvertently found some chicken wings too! We caught the 2pm bus back to Girona and got off at a closer stop. We stopped and got a package of jamon for a final taste and quickly came back for a breather before wandering the high part of town and the old city walls for about an hour. When we came back we had a lovely snack of cava, the jamon, cherries, and some cookies I bought in Barcelona!

10:00pm: Back from a stroll around town and an interesting dinner at Le Bistrot. When I first looked at the menu, I wondered why all they had was a French menu. It looked a little different from most of the other places we had eaten at previously or looked at fro tonight so we decided to give it a try and it turns out I had even flagged it on my map. I ultimately determined that, duh, the menu was in Catalan and not French. Impressively, considering it is in the middle of a little touristy town, they had no menus in any other languages. I had a “pizza,” which was more like a toast, of a slice of bread toasted and covered with ham, cheese, and mushrooms. I cannot even describe Matt’s dish that was similar but also had weird meat and pasta sheets on it? As in, lasagna on toast?

Before dinner, we encountered some kind of Catalan independence protest, or something related to the political prisoners that we have seen all over the region. So that was an interesting way to finish our time in Spain. After dinner, I really wanted some kind of dessert or pastry but all of those places seem to close early. Oh well, I’m sure I will have my fill of patisserie in France!

Speaking of which, tomorrow it’s adios Espana and bonjour la France! I wonder how much of my high school and college French I will be able to remember?!

Today’s totals for what may be our final really heavy walking day: 20,001 steps and 7.96 miles!

No comments: