Thursday, November 5, 2009

October 28 Blog and Pics: Florence

pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/debstah1/sets/72157622738271734/


8:00pm: back at the farmhouse after a long but enjoyable day in Florence. Woke up at 6:30am after finally sleeping ok, and we set out for Certaldo station by 6:45. Luckily we'd scoped it all out the day before and knew where to park. Found it today with no problem and hopped on our 7:18 train to Firenze SMN station.

Arrived a bit late because the train just stopped in the middle of nowhere for a while, but finally arrived and set off for the Accademia. Caught breakfast at a bar on the way and made it shortly after 9am. No wait at all, so we went in and saw the David. It was 10 freaking euros because of a mapplethorpe exhibit, as if anyone cares. Instead of the cool video renderings of the David that were there the first time I went, it was a bunch of his photos and drawings. Boooooring. Anyway, we wandered a bit through the musical instruments collection (the permanent one, which was not even remotely as nice as the temporary exhibit I was lucky enough to catch a couple years ago), then we set off for the San Lorenzo area and the Medici chapels. Like 2 years ago, the big chapel of the princes was still under major reconstruction but it is still impressive to see the utter wealth the Medicis possessed. I also love, in Michelangelo's chapel, how the notes he left on some of the back walls behind the altar are still preserved. Most people don't even go back there to see it.

After that, we wandered through the San Lorenzo market and over to the Mercato Centrale, which is a complete wonderland of fruits, vegetables, salamis, meat, fish, cheese, olives, wine and oil, and anything else you can imagine. We spent a good hour walking around there and then set off for the real historical center. I found the Global Refund office and got my measly $22 in tax refund for the jewelry I bought yesterday. I just now have to get it stamped at customs and stick it in the mail from the airport and I am good to go. Went into the Orsanmichelle church and found I Fratellini, a literal sandwich window. They sell about 30 kinds of sandwiches, all 2.50. I got salami and artichoke and it was on a great warm crusty roll. Then we found my beloved Perche No gelateria and got a cup. Then we set off for the amazing and always awesome Ponte Vecchio, where I resisted a strong urge to buy these lovely and delicate 140 euro earrings.

Wandered through the Oltrarno a little bit and then made our way over to Santa Croce. There's a big gold shop there too and I found a pair of earrings almost as lovely that were 89 euros, but she gave me a 15% discount so they were 76. Not sure why, but they are two round circles, one in yellow, and one in white gold. And they have a bit of a diamond cut so they are nice and glittery. Not as lovely as the others, but close enough for half the price. Of course, that brings my earrings haul from this trip to 6 pairs, and I think I will stop here. Usually I am too lazy to change my earrings that often but I guess I will have to start!

Went into Santa Croce, much of which is actually being restored. It's still always interesting to see Michelangelo's and Galileo's and Machiavelli's tombs, among others, and the Leather School is amazing - really top-quality handmade works and you can see many of the craftsmen making items. Too bad a fairly small purse was 330 euros :(

Anyway, just before 4pm, we took a taxi up to Piazzale Michelangelo, because we were hoping to catch a 5:10pm train back to Certaldo. Cost was just under 10 euros but it saved a ton of time. We got there right at the right time as the sun was hitting the city. It's now my third time up there and it still does not get old at all. Took MORE pictures and caught a 4:30 bus down to the station and made it with about 10 min to spare on our 5:10 train.

Had trouble once again getting out of Certaldo back to the farmhouse because the street it wants me to take every time is closed for construction. But after going in a couple circles we finally made it and just had some cold cuts and bread for dinner, simple Italian style eating.

Tomorrow will be a long driving day - more than 3 hours total probably. Still haven't had to fill up the gas tank - it seems like it should get over 800 kilometers per tank, which is pretty darn impressive. Will fill up tomorrow just to be careful and I bet we won't have to do it again!

No comments: