Thursday, October 15, 2009

Italy 2009 Trip Day 1 - Wednesday October 14

4:39pm PDT: I truly cannot believe I am here sitting in the airport ready to go to Italy. I've been thinking about this trip for about two years. It still hasn't quite sunk in that I'm actually going and actually going today - despite the fact that I am sitting in the damn airport. I booked my ticket 6 months ago. How is it time already? Where does the time go? I fear the trip will fly by so fast it'll be like a dream. I must take a ton of pictures and try to remember every moment. Sorry in advance if I am boring with every detail :)

There's wireless here, but I am not going to pay $7.99. Dear LAX, Long Beach gives free wireless. Just FYI. I am bored already and have no internet to entertain me. How will I make it 11 days? As I said to a couple co-workers earlier today, I don't think I've been without the internet for 11 days since we GOT it when I was young. It will be a test of wills for sure :)

An uneventful shuttle ride. Came right on time at 2:40, but of course on the 405 we hit traffic so it took almost an hour to get to the airport. The other passenger in the van kept asking the driver to "drive smoothly" because he was getting carsick. Clearly he has never driven on the 405 before, because that road is impossible to drive smoothly on.

So, they didn't weigh my suitcase so I got IN with my carry-on with no extra effort. Now I wish I'd brought that extra pair of pants I took out at the last minute :) The international terminal, which I've never been inside before, is quite a mess. They're remodeling all over and once you get past security, a lady told me there was almost no food. So at about 4:00 I had a good old McDonald's fries. I hate McD's so much, but their fries are so damn good. I love how they're literally twice as expensive at the airport.

Back to the present, now, and here I am sitting in nearly-empty gate 104 more than 2 hours before boarding. But that's OK, I like the peacefulness of it. It seems like the weather might be clearing up a bit - If you'd told me a week or two ago that the weather was going to be nicer upon my arrival in Italy than it is here in LA, I probably would have laughed at you. But it's been awful here the last two days, which makes me feel even less badly about leaving for almost three weeks.

I'm already getting boring and my flight hasn't even taken off yet. I'm sorry in advance. I warn people about the dreaded "wall of text" every day at work and here I am giving you one. Oh, look, the incoming flight (the one I'll be taking on my trip back to LA) is arriving, just on time. Which is, of course, good news because that means my plane is here nice and early. People are taking pictures of it. I enjoy good pictures/memories as much as anyone, but really? The plane sitting in taxi at the airport? I guess whatever floats their boat!

It's quite interesting how, in the international terminal, English is probably the minority language. Feels like I could be at any airport anywhere in the world with the variety of languages being spoken and passports being flashed.

I'll stop boring you. For now!!!


5:20pm PDT: I spot sunshine in LA!!!!!!!!!!!

11:50pm CDT: I think we're over the midwest somewhere, according to the in-flight monitor thingy. Not far from Sioux Falls to be exact. The outside temp is -61F, because I'm sure you wanted to know. 8:41 left :( Had dinner, which consisted of surprisingly edible chicken, rice, salad, roll, and brownie. Before dinner they gave out a pretzel-y thing called something like "Happy Snack" (Amanda, I feel like this is kind of up your alley, so I've saved the bag and will take a picture for you later:)

When the flight first started, I looked up and, to my horror, saw no individually controllable a/c vent. My first thought was my coworker Mel's face when lovable Mr. Sterns was telling us that, to tell if the pressurization in your flight is working OK, you can check the a/c and make sure it's working. But soon after my mini-freak out, I felt some air so I am assuming all is well.

Flight has been smooth so far. Not much to report. Going to try to sleep as much as possible!

3 comments:

natalie said...

I remember I got yelled at a few years ago when I took out my camera to take pictures at the airport. Well, not yelled at, told to please put it away lol.

larah said...

Damn those french fries!
At least you will be in no danger of bad food where you are:) !!

amanda said...

You know me well. |X