Friday, December 14, 2007

Traveler vs. Tourist

This is something that's been bothering me, ever since I set out researching my trip. Now that I've gone and returned and had time to reflect upon it all, it bothers me even more.

Miriam-Webster's defines a traveler as one who makes a trip or a journey. It defines a tourist, however, as merely one who makes a tour, typically for pleasure. What's the point, you may ask? Isn't this just a needless play on semantics? Maybe. But to me, the difference is huge. And I say, the difference is important: if you're only going to be a tourist, why go at all?

Tourists go to Venice and only see Piazza San Marco and the Rialto Bridge. They go to Florence and only see the Accademia and Uffizi Galleries. They don't get lost, they don't wander into the tiny little color-laden churches or the restaurants with no English menus. They get shipped through sites in groups of sardines listening to earpieces instead of the people around them, they ask for decaf coffee in Italy and food without butter in France.

Today on a messageboard - a busy, helpful, popular travel messageboard - someone asked "is it possible to see the Accademia and Uffizi in a day? That's all I'm interested in seeing in Florence"

......WHAT?

Surely that person wasn't serious. How can you travel all the way from the US to FLORENCE, ITALY, and only want to see two art museums!?!?!!? It's really beyond my comprehension. I mean sure, if you like the art, you should see it. Of course. If your time is limited and you really can only spare one day and really feel like you must see the art, ok, fine, I can accept that. But to come out and actually say, point blank, I don't care about the rest of the city???

Seriously, why bother.

I think it's easy to become a traveler. Take public transportation instead of taxis everywhere. Walk. Get LOST. Learn 5 words of the local language, plan a day or two extra time in each city to just experience it. Wander. Talk to locals. It's not that hard. It takes almost no effort, except perhaps for going outside one's comfort zone a little. Don't go to a place to see it, go to a place to FEEL it, to experience it, to live it for those days. If we could go to these places and treat them like a journey and a learning experience instead of a checklist, maybe we'd all understand each other just a little bit better.

Next time you are in a place, no matter where or what time of year, and you are on a main street or thoroughfare think it seems too busy or too "touristy" - I implore you - walk 3 blocks away from it in any direction. See what happens; see what you learn.

1 comment:

natalie said...

|X
you do make a good point though.